Porcelain and Stoneware Enhancer
APT-II PORCELAIN / STONEWARE ENHANCER INSTRUCTIONS
APT-II Enhancer is an acrylic emulsion additive that is food safe and non-toxic. It cleans up with water and has an indefinite shelf life. Usage techniques and firing methods are not altered. PROTECT FROM FREEZING.
APT-II Enhancer will thicken all brands of slip and clay bodies, enabling the ceramist to attach, mend and create surface decorations. This process can be performed on greenware and bisque.
APT-II PORCELAIN / STONEWARE ENHANCER CREATES A BETTER SLIP MENDER:
q Bonding occurs immediately.
q Mended area dries to the same softness as the greenware.
q Mended area may be cleaned immediately.
q Mended area does not shrink and leave a stress crack.
q Colors and glazes adhere to mended area without showing a difference in color.
q Slip mixture will adhere to glaze fired surfaces.
q Slip mixture will not produce odors or acid fumes in kiln.
PREPARING - *SLIP MIXTURE
· Pour fresh slip into container.
· Add APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer into slip until it begins to thicken to a consistency of cake batter.
· If *Slip Mixture becomes too thick for attaching or mending, thin back with slip - not water. (Adding water will increase shrinkage.)
· Unused *Slip Mixture may be stored in an airtight sealed container for several days. Add more slip if it becomes too thick.
· If *Slip Mixture is left open to air, it will dry and become greenware.
ADD-ONS - ATTACHMENTS - REPAIRS ON
1. Apply *Slip Mixture to pieces that will be attached.
2. Gently and firmly press pieces together (no scoring necessary). Bonding occurs immediately. Be sure pieces are positioned correctly. NOTE: Some pieces may still require propping.
3. Clean excess with cleaning tool or damp sponge. Limit use of water as it causes shrinkage and stress cracks.
4. After greenware dries, clean as usual and fire to a greenware firing.
1. Apply APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer - not water directly to broken pieces.
2. Immediately, apply *Slip Mixture to broken pieces.
3. Position pieces correctly - gently and firmly press pieces together.
4. Immediately clean excess with regular cleaning tool or damp sponge.
5. Let dry - fire to the recommended greenware firing.
Stress Cracks on Greenware
1. Apply APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer from bottle into stress crack.
2. Immediately fill with *Slip Mixture.
3. Clean excess with cleaning tool - let dry as usual.
4. Re-fire to a greenware firing.
1. Thicken slip with APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer until it becomes a clay
2. Shape into a pencil - let dry.
3. China Fire pencil to a Cone 018.
4. Crush bisque pencil into a powder and make a paste by adding
5. Apply APT-II Enhancer to cracked areas - do not let dry.
6. Immediately apply paste mixture into cracked areas.
7. Clean excess, let dry and fire to a bisque firing.
DECORATING TOOLS: Cake Decorating Tool, Cookie Press Clay Gun, Extruder, Palette Knife, Sponge, Scafitto Tool, etc. NOTE: Pipe as usual when decorating - do not stretch because the clay will shrink and crack when drying.
a) A thick creamy mixture for slip sculpting.
b) A very thick mixture for build-up applications.
c) A butter cream to royal icing consistency when using decorating tools.
Decorate on Wet Greenware
Decorate on Dry Greenware
1. Apply APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer on the specific area.
2. Decorate immediately on the dampen area using slip that is thicken with APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer to the desired consistency.
3. If decorations are dry, dampen with APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer.
4. Use a small amount of *Slip Mixture as an attaching agent to attach decorations to greenware.
5. Press gently and firmly into place and remove any excess slip.
6. Allow normal drying time before firing.
Decorate on Fired Glaze Surface (Flat)
1. Apply APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer on the specific area.
2. If decorations are dry, dampen with APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer.
3. Use a small amount of *Slip Mixture to attach decorations.
4. Press gently and firmly into place and remove any excess slip.
5. Allow normal drying time before firing to a glaze firing.
NOTE: If decorating on a movable glaze, you will need to position piece horizontally in kiln to prevent decorations from sliding.
1. Add APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer, a few drops at a time into slip, stirring until a creamy consistency occurs.
2. Dip cotton lace into slip mixture. NOTE: APT-II will allow you to use a cotton/polyester blend.
3. Work slip mixture into lace as usual.
4. Attach lace with a draping tool. *Slip Mixture may be used for attaching.
5. Spray or brush APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer over the laced area for added durability. This is very important because it eliminates some of the chipping and cracking.
|APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer added to clay has enriched the ability as an artist in ceramics to stretch and pull the clay to its ultimate limit and still retain its high quality of the translucency of porcelain.|
It strengthens the extension of the translucent areas in all stages of the clay and allows the freedom to create fine details.
When the clay is in a dried stage, you can add new clay to the dry clay and change the design if desired.
When loading the greenware in kiln, there is less breakage in a Cone 10 firing - especially delicate pieces.
1. Wedge APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer into moist clay. This will plasticize the clay for more elasticity while you're sculpting.
2. If you work with block clay, punch holes in clay - fill with APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer - then wedge.
3. Clay becomes more durable with less shrinking and cracking when hand forming and sculpting.
4. The RAKU technique has proven to have a more durable piece when using APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer in the clay.
SLIP TO MODELING CLAY
1. Thicken slip by adding 1-2 teaspoons of APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer per cup of slip. Mix thoroughly and place in an airtight container (zip-lock bag) for 12-24 hours to age and plasticize.
2. Remove from container and place on newsprint or plaster batten to remove excess water from clay. Pieces made from this mixture will dry like greenware instead of clay. Very little stress breakage occurs with excellent green strength.
APT-II PORCELAIN / STONEWARE ENHANCER
IN COLORS AND GLAZES
Add APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer into all water base colors and glazes for an easier application giving better coverage…
ü Levels lead-free glazes in the firing
ü Less drag when applying
ü Less shading and streaking
ü Less pitting and bleeding
ü Fewer pin holes
ü Taming of hard spots
1. Stir in approximately 3-4 drops of APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer per ounce (12-16 drops per 4 oz. Bottle).
2. Apply the number of coats manufacturer recommends, and the firing instructions.
1. Stir in approximately 3-4 drops of APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer per ounce into glaze. Apply the number of coats required. NO PREHEATING IS REQUIRED.
2. Follow the color manufacturer's instructions for firing.
TO ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR REGLAZING, ADD APT-II PORCELAIN/STONEWARE ENHANCER INTO GLAZE IN THE FIRST APPLICATION.
1. Add 2-3 drops of APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer per ounce into water base color. This will prevent the color pigments from bleeding into the clay surface. Color will bond and does not pop off during firing. Colors will show with fewer passes.
2. Follow your usual airbrush procedures.
3. Airbrush will not clog and cleans as usual.
Decals on Bisque (No Glaze)
1. Clean greenware as usual.
2. Fire greenware to a regular firing.
3. Sand bisque smooth.
4. Apply 2 coats of APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer - let dry.
5. Soak decal in warm water with a few drops of APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer added.
6. Apply one coat of APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer, and while it is still wet, remove backing from decal.
7. Place decal on bisque and press out bubbles - let dry.
8. Fire to decal instructions - (016 - 018).
9. Spray a matte or gloss sealer on bisque to protect from dirt.
Carving on Dry Greenware
1. Brush two coats of APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer on greenware.
2. Let dry.
3. Your greenware is now more durable while carving.
4. Less chipping and prevents stress cracks.